Wednesday, April 20, 2005

What’s In a Name?

Well, it has finally happened. I have settled on a name. And I want to thank my good friends Dustin Brown and Scipio Garling (of Absorbascon fame) for all of their help in making this possible.

Going into this adventure, I had thought I would name my place "Otherworlds" – hence the name of the ol’ blog. But the more I thought about it, the less I liked the sound of it, especially as the focus of the store moved from games to comics. Otherworlds made more sense when I was selling a gaming experience, a chance to visit myriad new worlds and visit, explore, and/or conquer them. But it seemed too...obtuse, too erudite, for a comic store that also will be selling games.

So I began pondering a new name. And Dustin and Scip moved me away from my initial idea of naming the store after the region of Richmond in which I wanted to place it, The Fan. I was gravitating towards Fanboy comics, or Fantom Comix, or some such thing. They pointed out some faults with those names. Then Scip noted the branding potential of placing a crazy adjective alongside an unexpected noun — say Fat Moose, or Sexy Pigeon — and the doors opened.

So, what is the name of the store?

(Dramatic music swells!)

Big Monkey Comics.

I’m just tickled by the chance to answer a ringing phone and say, "Thanks for calling the Big Monkey. Can I help you?"

And the logo possibilities are limitless....

9 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Devon said...

It's Monkey lovin' time in Ol' Virginny!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

As Carlos would say,
"Big Monkey rocks, dude!"

And, for the record, Devon:

monkey loving is actually illegal in Virginia...

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found this place from the 'comics worth reading' blog looks like I have two blogs to read about opening a comic store, the other being Comic Riot.
I kind of like the name Otherworlds better for a name, but that's just me.

So is this shop going to be in the cutting edge mold of an Isotope? www.isotopecomics.com or I bet going to get to those types of plans in the blog eventually, and I'm getting too far ahead I bet.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger JackM said...

Thanks for checking in! You are officially the first person I don't know on a first name basis who has posted a comment. Thanks!

And I am hoping to make the store as unique and cutting edge as possible. I've got a lot of ideas and I think that Richmond is actually ready for a funky and different kind of comics experience. I'll be getting into the specifics over time, though....

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Monkey is a great name -- here's hoping you can get stuff together before Peter Jackson's King Kong comes out, for some healthy cross-promotion (read: opportunistic marketing) (read: riding on monkey coattails).

Now it's logo time. Are you thinking:

1. Swiping an old Titano or Grodd panel? (Careful: that way WB lawyers lie.)

2. An original, cartoony lookin' monkey?

3. An original, more realistic looking monkey?

What is the monkey doing, in the logo? Reading comics? Eating Hot Pockets? Flinging poo at an issue of Superman/Batman? Hurling insults at another monkey who's expounding on how Daredevil could kick Batman's ass? Proferring deodorant to customers?

Just promise me you won't do the jagged-edge word balloon around the name. Because: yawn.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Hey - Just found this blog thanks to Comic Book Commentary as well.

As someone living in DC and trying to grow a comic community down here (our DC Conspiracy blog - http://home.dcconspiracy.com/blog.html - will have info on that), I just wanted to wish you look in Richmond.

I'll probably go through the rest of your site now but, in case it's not there, why Richmond? Big Planet Comics could use some competition and NOVA needs a good comic store.

Anyway, best of luck. Make it swank and cutting edge like the 'tope and I'll gather up the DCC to make a road trip down there.

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a company that pays $10 - $50/hr for shopping the classifieds!

Work At Home $10 - $50/hr Easy part/full time work, no boss, no commute, no set hours, paid every 12 days..

I'm making over $500 a day with this company and will be happy to help you do the same.

Hurry postions are filling fast!

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Celexa weight lost lucky keno numbers nl 15 ritalin use state statistics Vitamin c amount to take All state renters insurance Zoloft mdma drafting plotters Didrex cod overnight Newport kentucky gambling vegas

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home