Monday, May 02, 2005

P.O.S.

Well, I think I am closing in quickly on my point-of-sale (POS) system. While there are several pieces of retail software on the market right now, they aren’t very customizable, and they can be pretty expensive. Considering I am sure that I am going to end up wanting to modify how I track my customers’ (and particularly subscribers) purchasing patterns, I wasn’t too sold on the fact that the search parameters for historical data was (for the most part) pretty limited.

Enter a dear friend of mine who is a database guru and who actually ENJOYS the process of creating these things. Well, after a few discussions, he has began the process of putting the system together. He has also been helping me put together the hardware (scanner gun, cash drawer, etc.) that I will need, and doing so at a price that, I think, is going to end up being considerably cheaper than buying a system off the shelf.

Strangely enough, do you know what one of the bigger stumbling blocks I’ve run into has been? Getting the scanner gun to read the entire bar code on a comic book. Apparently comic books have an extra couple of digits in their bar code to represent the issue name and number. This is confusing our poor gun right now. Donn (my friend and IT department) has been exchanging e-mails with the company and they seem confident that they can work this out, but still. It SEEMS pretty straightforward, doesn’t it? Oh well, at this point I’m not terribly worried. If this particular brand of scanner gun doesn’t work out, we can always get another. Just the fact that these kind of concrete steps are being taken has given my spirits a lift.

Another thing that is helping my mood is the fact that my current employer (for whom I will be working for just another few days) gave me a bonus today that was both unexpected and extremely appreciated. With this money, I can suddenly make those initial investments that I had been a bit reluctant to make at this time — even though I knew they would have to be made at some point — hence the sudden movement on the POS system. I think I may just have to name the store’s computer system in honor of my former employers.

15 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this parental control software site, it's pretty awesome too!

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This quick and easy system will automatically build you a customer email list by capturing your customer detailseducational softwareeducational software

 
At 4:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plan and monitor your finances, plan your holidays and parties and keep all your crucial recordssoftware testingsoftware testing

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous ebusiness software said...

Hi - I’m a newbie trying to find some information
relating to ebusiness software
However, I managed to find your Blog which I think is interesting and had some relevance to what I was looking for. Thanks for your post and do keep up your good work.!

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous inventory software said...

Hi JackM, I have been visiting sites for hours and I really like what you have done with your blog. Informative and interesting! In fact I found your site just after
I visited Accounting software
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

 
At 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! film editing classes

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Jammer said...

Lots of spam in your comments. I actually want to contact you about the POS software your guy Dave came up with. I'm opening a shop near Boston and am trying to decide among the POS choices on the Mac, and have thought of designing one of my own and having it built in India. :)

I'll try to find your email address so we can chat.

Thanks!

 
At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Inventory Management Software said...

Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Inventory Management Software said...

Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Inventory Management Software said...

Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Inventory Management Software said...

Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Inventory Management Software said...

Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Inventory Management Software said...

Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Inventory Management Software said...

Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home