Sunday, May 08, 2005

Time to Put Up Or Shut Up

Wow, what a week it has been.

In short, my life has now officially changed and there is no going back to the way it once was. As of May 6, I am no longer employed. For the first time since my senior year in high school, I don’t have a job – even in college I worked for 4 years in the mail room.

In addition, I am now officially, and from this point forward, a Richmonder. My wife threw a wonderful surprise party for me on Friday. More than a dozen adults, and easily as many kids between 2 and 8. These are my new neighbors. These are people that I have met but hardly know. And yet, they all came to my new home to welcome me to the city and wish me well on my future endeavors, whatever they may be. It was shocking and extremely fulfilling. It was also not something that I could EVER have envisioned happening in my former home of Arlington, Virginia. Yes, my dear friends and other would have come to such a party, and I would have loved it. But this was different. These were, for all intents and purposes, strangers – parents of the kids my friends play with. In Arlington, the pace of life is just too fast, the schedules just too packed, the idea of going out of your way to welcome a new neighbor to the block too foreign.

In just a few short hours, I realized that I have found that place I have long looked for. An open and inviting kind of town. A place that has a slower pace of life and yet still has an appreciation for the diverse and quirky. I’ve found a place that invites you to compare what was to what can be. I’ve found a place I WANT to call home. A place that I want to know inside and out. A place that I want to be part of.

But you know what, it’s a damn good thing that I do feel that way because if I didn’t...well, I’d be in a heap of trouble. Quit my job, move my family, chase a dream in a place that turns out to be lousy? Oh, I’d be paying a very steep price for THAT miscalculation.

And that is something that I don’t need to deal with just now as I am beginning to realize how truly difficult this quest of mine is going to be.

12 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

Congrats, Jack!

Although we miss you already...

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Hey - been following your blog and digging it.

Congratulations and best of look. We do a DC Area comics jam (http://home.dcconcpiracy.com/blog.html) twice a month down in Arlington and I was telling the guys there about you and this site last night. We were saying if the place ends up looking pretty nice, we might take a road-trip down to check it out, give you some Arlington love (and dollars).

Best of luck, bro.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J --

Keep the faith.

Yup, Richmond's a great, friendly town. Sounds like your wife's already found that out.

We DC geek-folk will miss you at Monday Night Clix-ball, but I'll ask my Richmond friends to check out your blog.

(They're non-geeks, but good people. It would be churlish to hold their good looks and considerable social skills against them.)

One couple even has a daughter juuust about the age of the Li'l-est Mingus....

Why, one day they might even go to cotillion, or whatever it is you Southerners do....

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Ed Sizemore said...

Welcome to Richmond. Can't wait to see your store when it opens. Just remember this is a blue collar town with white collar pretensions. At its core Richmond is still has a farm and factory mentality. This will help explain why we have the third largest art school in the country (VCU) and no support for the art community. Jack, we are glad your here to help change that.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger JackM said...

Jason, Thanks for the kind words. Given your connection to the Comic Art Community (via Hoarse & Buggy Productions and other things) do you think some of the artists that you work with might be willing to do a freelance Big Monkey logo and some tableaus showing said monkey in various comic book scenes? Of course, I'd be willing to pay for the help....

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger JackM said...

Ed,
Thanks for the insight. It is interesting that you can definitely feel the blue collar roots of the city all around you. But I don't view that as a negative. It actually gives the city a decidedly more "real" feel to it than DC which is a true white collar company town (i.e., the government). And in truth, I think that the city is changing. I've long said that I think it feels like Austin, TX must have felt 5 years before it changed from sleepy government town to a musical and cultural hub. I don't know exactly what Richmond is changing into, but it really does feel like it is on the cusp of something really neat.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger JackM said...

Scip & Anonymous,
I miss you guys too.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Ed Sizemore said...

I agree Richmond is slowly changing and chaning for the better in regards to supporting the arts. For people who are new to Richmond, the pace of change can be frustating. However, looks like you're going to be the exception. You want a break from the DC's hectic pace, so Richmond will suit your style much better.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Jack - let me see who I can dig up. EMail me exactly what you're looking for. jason@hoarseandbuggy.com

And don't forget to stock H&B books, we have two new ones coming out, potentially three.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Devon said...

Geez, man, the only way your life could be better is if you somehow acquired a plate-spinnin' helper monkey made of ice cream. You're a testimony to "good things happen to good people," Jack.

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Bf kids divorce help phendimetrazine online Abuse tramadol Propecia generica Tafoya coat of arms lotto pro 2005 v6.72 losing hair wearing a hat 35 fx infiniti oral+surgery+instruments Bmw rms motorsports

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home