Sunday, June 05, 2005

A Quiet Week on the Store Front

Not much happened on the store front this week. this was mostly a week where I did a lot of work around the house. The kitchen is now lime green and the dining room tangelo -- what can I say, we like color.

Had another interesting conversation with Patrick at Velocity Comics on Thursday while I was picking up my stash. Based upon many of your recommendations, I am going to get back to Richmond Comix this week to talk with Frank, that store's owner. From all reports he sounds like a good guy and I'm sorry I missed a chance to talk with him when I swung by the store a week ago. I'm also going to contact Brett over at Brett's Comic Pile because A) he invited me to make contact, and B) based upon his post on the old blog, he sounds INCREDIBLY knowledgeable about not just the back issue side of teh industry, but the industry as a whole. That is insight I could definitely use.

I've also had a couple of really good suggestions about store location that I am going to be checking out this week.

So in short, it was a bit of a holding pattern this week with regard to getting the store up and running. You can't go 100 miles an hour every week, I guess. In addition, things have a tendency to come up (especially with 2 kids) that can derail even the best laid plans.

When I know more, you'll know more!

3 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Johanna said...

Jack, could you email me? (johanna at comicsworthreading.com) I had a question to ask you. Thanks!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Rick said...

I am enjoying reading your updates. I have one suggestion that might help you. Instead of only visiting good shops in the local area, you might want to make a road trip and spend time visiting comic shops that leave a lot to be desired. They type of comic shops that make you want to instantly leave and never go back. I like to visit comic shops when I travel and unfortunately, I have been to many shops that are just really simply awful.

I would think a lot could be learned from shops like these.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger JackM said...

A fair idea. I've seen MANY bad store in my years. And in some wys that already has influenced the thining on my store. I DON'T want pictures of large breasted vixens platered all over the walls (not that I have anything against large breasted vixens, but how many women and children would this speak to in a positive way?). I do want my employees to have "uniforms," slacks and a store shirt at the least -- not guys in torn up jeans and old T-shirts sitting behind the counter. And most importantly, I want everyone who works there to be friendly and knowledgeable about the product. Is that really too much to ask?

Thanks for checking in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home