Friday, November 11, 2005

Tick Tock Tick Tock....

Just a few more days until the grand opening! November 16, here I come!

Well, maybe that is a bit of a stretch. You see due to governmental consideration, we aren't doing a "GRAND OPENING" for about another 5 or 6 business days after the 16th. The 16th will be more of a "soft opening" of sorts. While we won't be trumpeting the arrival of the store, the door will quietly be unlocked and if someone wants to come in and give me their money, who and I to stop them?

By the end of the month, though, all of the external considerations should be taken care of and we will proudly begin unveiling our advertising in the local paper, the Free-Lance Star. We'll have about two ads a week (sometimes 3) until the end of the year. I got a good deal with the paper for the ads, but in order to get it, they all had to run by December 31. Before we hit our delay, I had the ads running about once a week, but WITH the delay, things got a bit more compressed. Oh well, it is the holiday shopping season, so it can't hurt to start off with a bang, I guess.

Looking around, the place does look a little bare. There is certainly product to sell, make no mistake, but it certainly doesn't have the "every inch of space is filled with cool stuff" vibe that our DC store has. It will come with time, I know, but for now I am trying to make do with posters and the like. Luckily, comic books and related products actually are pretty darn appealing on their own, so the place is quite colorful.

I've also made contact with a gentleman over at Dime Store Productions. They are an indy label who contacted me about potentially carrying their products. Seem like nice folks. I also told them that I like to have artists draw pictures of "superhero monkeys" that I can frame and hang in the store (with proper credit given to the artist). It is kind of neat to tell an artist "draw me a monkey superhero" and see where their mind and artistic skills go. At this point, we don't have many of these pictures up on the walls yet, but I am hoping to get tons of them over the years to come. Anyway, the kind folks over at Dime Store Productions (www.dimestoreproductions) said they would see what they could do to help me out. Once I get something, I will definitely post a scan of it here on the blog.

Speaking of blogs...and by extraction the Internet...and by further extraction www.bigmonkeycomics.com...our website is just about ready. I have seen the early drafts of this thing and it is going to be absolutely amazing. If you swing by www.bigmonkeycomics.com right now, you will see our teaser site, but bookmark the spot and visit often. We will have reviews, blogs, polls, industry news, the whole deal. A lot of time and effort has gone in to making this thing great, and it really shows.

Okay, that's it for now. I'll have another post after the weekend, but before the doors open on Wednesday. Thanks for sticking around!

2 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger ryan said...

Hi,

I got word from Sarah McCandless that you guys were opening up a shop in fxbg, which excites me greatly. Just one question...where is the shop? I will definitely be by tomorrow.

Ryan

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can find us at 10667 Spotsylvania Avenue -- that's in the Lee's Hill Shopping Center with the Food Lion if you know where that is.

Technically we are in Spottsylvania County, not F'burg, so that further adds to the confusion about such things...

And I WOULD have logged iin as myself, but I am having trouble doing that. Darn Internet!

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Jack

 

Post a Comment

<< Home