Sunday, November 06, 2005

Time to Start Again...

Okay, a few people I know have told me that I really either need to post again on this blog or delete it. So, since deleting it seems a LITTLE sad, I have divided to post some things to get myself back into the habit. After all, a LOT has happened, and there is a LOT to tell.

I. Big Monkey is up and running

As of October 1, I and my other two investors officially purchased Beyond Comics 2 in Georgetown (Washington, DC) and renamed it Big Monkey Comics. In addition, our second store, Big Monkey Fredericksburg (VA) will be opening a week from Wednesday. Finally, the Big Monkey eBay store is chugging along. At one point we had over 5,000 books for sale, but now we are hovering around the 4,400 mark due to the fact that we have actually been selling things at a startlingly brisk clip.

II. Wow, that first paragraph encompasses a lot, huh?

Tell me about it.

The past 8 weeks have been a whirlwind. First we had all of the financial issues to deal with to put together the money we needed to actually buy the Georgetown store. We got that done, but there were certainly some tense spots during that portion of things. In the end, it should be noted that the money part actually worked out pretty easily. We had to change the specific nature of HOW we got the money, but we never had any doubt as to the fact that we would get the money.

During that time, I was creating our online store. And creating our online store. And creating our online store. Creating an eBay store (especially if you want it to be a big one) takes a LOT of time. In the end, though, this was a good investment of time because the sales have been quite healthy for not actually advertising the store's existence. In fact, the revenues generated by the eBay store got the ball rolling on our website as well as paid a lot of the startup costs associated with the Fredericksburg, VA store.

Which brings us to the Fredericksburg store. My store. The store that I will be working in 4 days a week to start. The store that is an hour drive from my house (ugh). If you have read any of the early blog entries, the goal here was to create a store in Richmond, VA -- heck, the address for this blog is richmondstore.blogspot.com -- but Richmond has more than enough stores. We may open one in Richmond down the road, but we would be buying an existing store, not trying to carve out market share on our own.

Anyway, back to Fredericksburg. I've spent most of my waking hours over the past month plus trying to get this store ready. And we are just about there. Where once there was an empty shell in a strip mall, now there is a yellow and black store with slatwall around the walls, product on the shelves, and a computer/POS system (just about) ready to go. I have to admit that it is pretty exhilarating.

There is much more to say, but I will have to say it later…and I will. Now that the uncertainty of “Will it happen” has been replaced by the certainty of “It IS happening” I have all of the motivation I need to keep telling my three readers all about what is going on.

8 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Jhunt said...

Hey, nice to see an update to the blog! I was actually probably going to dump it from my Bloglines account because I kept getting false updates.

Which are a bummer.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger JackM said...

Thanks for sticking around. Sorry about the false update reports. Darn spammers!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Shane Bailey said...

Hello, this is an exciting blog here!

I'm here posting about something that has nothing to do with what you're talking about!

I hate those people.

Good luck with the stores. If I'm ever in the area I'll stop by. I used to go up there a lot for business, but not anymore. I rarely leave Jacksonville, FL with my current job.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Mufyn said...

Jack! An update? Wow! Woo-hoo!! I'm happy for you! It was great seeing you and I'm happy the store, and soon to be stores, are doing well! Congrats on a job well done! Again, woo-hoo!!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger MrTractor said...

I can't find your address. Can you come over to www.dimestoreproductions.com? We've started a list of good comic book retailers. I want to add your stores, but can't find the info.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Devon said...

I came here to enlarge my penis and invest in Nigeria.

I'm outta here!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Gelf13 said...

A message from Shane Bailey? Could that be the same Shane "Beetle" Bailey of yore? Holy carp, dude!

Oh, and Jack... Good work on the store! I'll be coming down for a look see soon!

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! film editing schools

 

Post a Comment

<< Home